Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Complication

We’ve hit a small complication regarding our hood. For some reason I thought that we were going with the Dacor hood, but Carrie at Kennedy Hahn and Laurie tell me that it is actually a different Ventahood model. I must cracking up, but that’s not the complication.

Counter top height is 36” above the floor and that’s where the cook top will be. The hood sits 24” above that and is 14” high. A six inch duct is covered by a 10*10” square duct cover that is 22” long, making a full 96” or 8ft. Our ceilings are 101”, so we’re off by five inches.

We have three options: raise the hood, increase the length of the cover, or build something around the last 5” to meet with the stainless duct.

I don’t want to raise the hood because it would affect performance. I’m told that the lead time on the custom cover is 4-6 weeks. That’s ridiculous. I am waiting to hear more about the third option. That may the easiest but I am concerned that it will just look like the duct cover is too short.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would raise the hood 6". 30" from stove top to hood allows more clearance for larger pans, allows more space for a decorative backsplash, and some of the higher BTU burners require 30-36" of clearance. If you change out your cooktop or range later, it would be nice to not be locked in with clearance issues. I happened across your blog today, I design kitchens in Idaho. Good luck on your remodle.