Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Electrical Subcontractor

This morning we met with an electrical contractor. I have used his company a lot professionally and, although they only do industrial and commercial work, they will do residential work for customers.

Tony checked out every thing, noted the areas of concern, and will be sending me a quotation in the next couple of days. He asked how I wanted it quoted, as a proposal from his company, or as a side-job by one of his guys. He said there would be about a 30% difference in cost. They are a union shop and side jobs are not allowed. However, a wink is as good as a nod to a blind man.

Our kitchen designer said that their electrician said that our current 100 amp service is adequate. Tony said it may or may not be. Upgrading to 200 A will be about $250. Now is the time.

Jim Krzewinski, the brother of my long time friend Joe, took over his dad's electrical business and will be coming out Friday to give me another quotation.

I called WE Energies to see what all would be involved to upgrade our service. The wait on their customer service line was 9 - 14 minutes. They have a very nice feature where you can enter a call back number and, when your turn gets close, they call you back. You don't lose your place in line. That was convenient.

I told the guy what I wanted to do and he asked my name, address, and phone. Then he said "Are you still employed with We Energies?" I told him that my spouse was.

I find it very interesting that their customer service people would have a cross referenced list of employees and customers. I hope that means we get extra special service.

1 comment:

Dan Piette said...

Recently in The Ethicist column for the New York Times someone took advantage of their contacts in a local city government to get better service for his neighborhood. The Ethicist scolded him as this being an inappropriate favor.

I disagreed with him.

I hope you get special service, too. After all, if you can't help your friends, who should you help?